Everleigh Parish Council Minutes – November 2008

EVERLEIGH PARISH COUNCIL

NOVEMBER 2008

 

Minutes of the Everleigh Parish Council Meeting

held at the Crown Hotel on Monday 3rd November 2008.

 

Chairman: Cllr D Beaton

 

Present: Cllr G Beaton, Cllr D Bottomley, Cllr A Bradford Cllr J Bradford Cllr S Matton and Cllr K Wheeler-Mallows

 

In Attendance: Mr P Gill (Parish Clerk), County Cllr R Hall

 

  1. Apologies: PC M Randle and District Cllr C Howard.

 

2. Disclosure of Interest. The Chairman reported that he continued to work for Community First, the Rural Community Council for Wiltshire, and would absent himself from any discussions relating to the Parish Council and this charity.

 

  1. General Public. No questions or comments.

 

  1. Wilshire Constabulary. PC Mark Randle submitted the fooling written report:

 

Two calls received in relation to the same incident stemming from a falling out between two children in the village. This is currently being dealt with by the civil courts. Two alarm activations, both false, and one report from a passing motorist regarding branches in the road. Our area seems to have a lot of civilian 4X4 activity during darkness. I have stopped some, who were night time green laneing, but intelligence suggests most are out poaching. I am trying to coordinate regular patrols of the area but would welcome any sightings of strange 4x4s (index numbers if possible) around Everleigh and any local intelligence re poaching, anonymous or otherwise. The Neighbourhood Bulletin has been circulated with a few topical warnings re Oil theft and telephone scams receiving good feedback. The distribution list is now in the BCC so no one will be able to see who gets it, thereby protecting privacy and reducing the risk of spam emails. However, the actual take up of the Bulletin has been disappointing.   The Everleigh Chill is doing well as we now have Air Hockey and Snooker/Pool to go with Bar football and Darts.

Members noted the report

 

5. Previous Minutes. After the correction of a minor mistake the minutes of the Parish Council meeting held on 3rd September 2008 were signed by the Chairman as a true record.

 

6. Matters Arising. None that do not appear on the agenda.

 

7. Correspondence – As received and if necessary held at the clerk’s office.

    1. Rights of Way Improvement Plan.

    2. KDC – Request for Precept demand.

    3. Invitation to Kennet CAB AGM on 13 November 2008.

Members noted the correspondence

 

8. Planning. No new planning Applications have been received.

 

9. Property.

  1. Play Area: Cllr J Bradford reported that the Council’s fund raising efforts have paid off and that grants to a total of £11K have been secured and it is anticipated that a further grant of £10K is likely to be secured in the very near future. Moreover, there is a reasonable chance that further funding will be secured.

Action: Working Group

  1. In response to a question from Cllr Wheeler-Mallows requesting clarification of the possible phasing of the project and the impact that phasing might have on the funding steams and the purchase of equipment Cllr A Bradford then explained that the project can be broken down into discreet phases to fit in with the funding available.

  2. On a recommendation from Cllr Wheeler-Mallows

Members RESOLVED to thank Cllrs A Bradford & Matton for their impressive efforts in securing such a large amount of external funding for this project. Furthermore, that the support and advice given by KDC Cllr Howard be acknowledged.

 

10. Finance.

  1. The Clerk presented a current liquidity statement and bank reconciliation as follows and alerted the Members to a possible budget overrun:

10.1.1 Balance at Lloyds TSB (statements date 17 Oct 08) £1229.23

10.1.2 Balance at Alliance and Leicester (statement date 3 Oct 08) £2932.93

10.1.3 Combined balance = £4162.16

Members noted the statement and the Clerk’s possible budget overrun alert, but at present they are content with their spending plans.

  1. Authorise cheques for payment.

      1. 284 – Cllr A Bradford reimbursement -£68.15

      2. 285 – Cllr D Bottomley reimbursement – £24.59

      3. 286 – Community First Fireworks Event Insurance – £42.00

      4. 287 – Clerk’s salary & expenses – £223.84

      5. 288 – Cllr D Beaton reimbursement for Fireworks – £350.00

Members RESOLVED to authorise the cheques

  1. Payments Received

      1. £0.17 – Lloyds BIA interest

      2. £12.86 – A&L Interest

      3. £1075.50 – 2nd half of Precept

Members noted the receipts.

    1. Having considered the draft budget for FY 09/10 presented by the RFO (Cllr J Bradford) which includes a general reserve, allowances for at least two major village events with associated additional insurance costs and general price inflation

Members RESOLVED to agree the budget as presented and appended to these minutes.

    1. Having considered the proposed Precept as set out in the agreed budget and the fact that the Precept was last increased in April 2003

Members RESOLVED

        1. To set the FY09/10 Precept at £3100.00.

Action: Clerk to raise demand to KDC.

        1. That the Chairman should write a short article for the Courier outlining the reasons for the increase.

Action: Chairman

10.6 The Clerk informed the Members that the Annual Accounts are required to be approved by the Council before 30 June 2009.

 

11. Village Events

11.1. Fire Works Event. Cllr Matton reported that due to inclement weather the event was cancelled at short notice. Although the Members regretted the cancelation it was agreed that it was the right decision. Having considered rescheduling the event to 8th Of November the Members agreed that it would be too late reschedule the event and in any case the weather forecast was for wet weather. The Chairman offered to store the fireworks in a suitable location in order that they can be used next year and Cllr Matton agreed to inform the villagers that the event would not be rescheduled.

Members RESOLVED

        1. To not reschedule the event and to take up the Chairman’s offer to store the fireworks.

Action: Chairman and Cllr Matton

        1. To commend Cllrs Matton, J Bradford and Bottomley for their efforts.

11.2. Fund Raising Events. Cllr J Bradford reported that given the level of grant funding there was no requirement at this time to run fund raising events in support of the Play Ground Project.

11.3 Other Events. Cllr J Bradford suggested that it might be a good idea to run a “Getting to know each other” at which villagers and others would be invited to speak on the history of the village and other related topics.

Members RESOLVED that Cllr Bradford takes the idea forward and that the event is listed

on the agenda for the next meeting.

 

  1. Freedom of Information Act.

    1. Having considered adopting New Model Publication Scheme

Members RESOLVED to adopt the New Model Publication Scheme without modification

    1. Having considered the draft Policy presented by the Clerk

Members RESOLVED to not adopt the policy as presented and directed the Clerk to produce in clued more detail in the Class 3 area and to submit the revised policy to the Chairman for scrutiny.

 

  1. AOB.

    1. WCC Cllr Hall reported that the elections for the Members of the European Parliament and new Unitary Authority will be held on or about 4 June 2009. He also reported the village groupings as proposed by WCC are still being reviewed however it is likely that there be any change to Everleigh. Moreover, it is also looking likely that Everleigh will sit with the Tidworth Community Board area.

Members thanked WCC Cllr Hall for his report.

    1. KDC Cllr Howard reported by email that when the Parish Council sends in invoices to Kennet to receive grant payment the amount claimed should not include VAT as the Parish Council can reclaim the VAT.

The Members thanked Cllr Howard for his report. Action: Cllr Matton

    1. Cllr Matton contacted WCC Highways regarding the damaged safety signage on the Marlborough Road however WCC has not taken any action to inspect or repair the signage. After a short discussion and on advice from WCC Hall Cllr Matton agreed to draft a letter for the Chairman to send requesting WCC to inspect and repair the signage as a matter of urgency.

    2. Cllr Wheeler-Mallows raised the matter of the missing “Lower Everleigh” road sign. The Chairman agreed to write to WCC requesting that the sign be replaced.

    3. The Clerk informed Members that the Refuse & Recycling collections following the 25th December 2008 and 1st January 2009 will take place one day later. Normal day collections will resume on 5th January 2009.

 

14. Date of Next Meeting: Was confirmed as 7.00 pm on Monday 5th January 2009 at The Crown Hotel.

 

Signed: date:

 

Name:

 

Chairman

Leave a Reply