Everleigh Parish Council – Minutes from meeting 14th September 2015

EVERLEIGH PARISH COUNCIL

SEPTEMBER 2015

Minutes of the Everleigh Parish Council Meeting held at the Collingbourne Ducis School

on Monday 14 September 2015.

Chairman: Cllr D Bottomley

Present: Cllr S Matton, Cllr K Preece, Cllr J Jones, Cllr E Hudson and Cllr K Wheeler-Mallows

In Attendance: Mr P Gill (Parish Clerk), Wilts County Cllr C Howard.

  1. Apologies: Cllr T Symonds

  1. Disclosure of Interest. None declared.

  1. Minutes of the Meeting of the Parish Council held on 6 July 2015. The minutes were signed by the Chairman as a true record.

  1. Matters Arising.

    1. Item 13.1 Summer Event. The injured child has made a full recovery and all actions have been carried out. Item closed.

    2. Item 15. Mobile Library. The Mobile Library Service consultation has now finished and will continue to visit Everleigh, High Trees. New timetables will commence week beginning 26 October and visits will be every 4 weeks on Fridays 2.30 – 2.55. Item closed.

 

  1. General Public. No questions asked

  1. Wilshire Constabulary. In the absence of a representative no report was offered. The Cllrs noted their concern at this absence and the Chairman agreed to email the Local P Sergeant to express this concern.

  1. County Councillor.

    1. Wilts County Councillor C Howard presented the following report:

The Leader of Wilts Council Jane Scott had been made a Peer of the Realm. He also expanded on the

ending of Wiltshire Council and Balfour Beatty Highway Maintenance contractual agreements.

Wilts Council is carrying out a procurement procedure to appoint a new Highways Contractor to start in April 2016. Moreover, Tidworth Area Board still has grant funds available for distribution.

    1. Cllr Wheeler-Mallows asked Wilts Cllr Howard if he was aware that Everleigh Household Recycling

Centre (HRC) was to be closed. Wilts Cllr Howard replied that he was not aware and that he would

investigate first thing on Tuesday morning (15 Sep 15).

The Chairman thanked Wilts Cllr Howard for his report.

Afternote 1: The following was received from Wilts Cllr Howard on Tue 15 Sep 15 “The closure of the Everleigh Household Recycling Centre was due to be approved at a meeting of the Wiltshire Council cabinet this morning (15 Sep 15). You may be interested to know that following strong representations from Councillors Mark Connolly, Chris Williams and I, ‘the item regarding the Everleigh HRC has been pulled from this morning’s meeting.’ No doubt it will come up again as part of a proper consultation on all HRCs in the County.”

Afternote 2: Cllr Bottomley posted the following message on the Everleigh Web Site on 15 Sep 15:

“After representation from the Pewsey and Tidworth Area Boards, Wilts Council proposals to close the Everleigh Recycle Centre have been put on hold until proper consultation has taken place. Everleigh Parish Council fully supports the retention of the Everleigh Recycle Centre and will be working with the Tidworth Area Board to achieve that effect.”

  1. Correspondence – As received and if necessary held at the clerk’s office.

    1. None that has not already been circulated.

  1. Planning. Planning Applications as received from Wiltshire Council: None received since the last meeting.

  1. Property.

    1. Grass Cutting. Performance update. Cllr Wheeler-Mallows reported that the contract was working satisfactorily. The Clerk requested that Cllr Wheeler-Mallows seek an invoice from Mr J Bowden as soon as possible.

Action: Cllr Wheeler-Mallows

    1. Street Scene Minor Works. Cllr Wheeler-Mallows reported that, further to Wilts Cllr Howard’s earlier report, faults and issues should be raised via Wilts Council’s Website App or via Cllr Wheeler-Mallows. Although the Community Work Days are to cease, The Parish Steward will be retained but work is now to be executed on a priority basis.

Action: Cllr Wheeler-Mallows

    1. New Play Equipment. Cllr Wheeler-Mallows reported that he had taken the gate latch off the under 12’s playground, added foam pipe wrap and re-tensioned the gate spring so the gate closes (mainly to keep dogs out). The risk to fingers being damaged is therefore minimal. He had also checked the basket swing seat for height above ground which was perceived as offering a crush risk.  There is a clear 33cm or 13” to the ground with me sitting in it.  As the height was set by the installers I do not intend to raise it. He had also tightened two screw heads on the deck of the ‘house’ on stilts, where there was a small risk of cutting or scuffing oneself, and removed a non load-bearing third screw as it wore out before tightening in which is to be replaced in due course. He further reported that the stone track has been vastly improved through work parties. Cllr Wheeler- Mallows agreed to look at the work required to the fence and revisit the basket seat crush risk.

Action: Cllr Wheeler-Mallows.

The Chairman thanked Cllr Wheeler-Mallows for carrying out the work.

Afternote: The following report was received from Cllr Wheeler-Mallows on Tue 15 Sep 15 “Following last night’s EPC meeting, I confirm the following: The short dividing fence between the two play areas is in need of repair.  It is safe and functional but had 3 x 4” nails exposed where the top rail was detached (fixed) and will require 2/3 new 4” posts in the near future.  One is definitely unstable (? broken), and the others loosened by children climbing and/or prevailing winds buffering it in the U12s’ corner. The basket swing actually swings further from the ground when it is moved in an arc, thereby giving clearance at all times of greater than 13” / 33cm.  I cannot therefore understand that it presents a crush hazard. Although I had re- tensioned the gate spring, the prevailing wind this morning was sufficient to push it ajar.  Rather than tighten it further (fingers against foam pipe-wrap) I placed a large looped cable-tie over the gate and post so that parents can secure the gate at their will. I consider all other risks to be minimal, mitigated, or acceptable. I propose spending money to introduce a pedestrian gate into the fence between the two play areas; improvement to the padding solution on gate closures, and replacement of fence posts, as required. I will also look at solutions for the BMX track surface, after the inspection comments are made”.

    1. RoSPA Playground Inspection Sep 15. The Clerk informed Cllrs that the inspection has yet to be

conducted.

  1. Rights of Way (ROW). Cllr Bottomley reported that a number of ROW sign posts had been replaced to the satisfaction of the Council at no cost by Project UBIQUE. Item closed.

  1. Finance.

    1. The Clerk presented a current liquidity statement and bank reconciliation as follows:

      1. Balance at Lloyds TSB CA (statement date 4 Sep 15 ) £4501.52

      2. Balance at Lloyds BIAA ( statement date 2 Apr 15) £51.73

      3. Balance at Santander (statement date 5 Sep 15) £1,955.45

      4. Combined Balance at 5 Sep 15 £6508.70

      5. Reconciled Balance as at 13 Sep 15 £6077.87

Members noted the statement and reconciliation.

    1. Authorise cheques for payment and those cheques issued since last meeting.

      1. 484 Wiltshire Air Ambulance Donation £50.00 8 Jul 15

      2. 485 Grant Thornton UK LLP (Audit fees 14 Jul 15) £120.00 (VAT £20.00)

      3. 486 Ab-Fab Loos (summer Party 16 Jul 15) £93.60 (VAT 15.60)

      4. 487 S Matton (Reimbursement for miscellaneous items purchased for Summer Party Jul 15) £46.80 (VAT 4.05)

      5. 488 P Gill (Clerk’s Salary & Expenses Jul-Sep 15) £291.73.

      6. 489 HMRC (Clerk’s PAYE Apr-Jun 14 Sep 15) £73.00.

      7. 490 D Bottomley (Lawn Mower Fuel 11 Sep 15) £19.30 (VAT £3.22)

    2. Note all major receipts since last meeting.

      1. None.

Members noted the receipts

    1. Annual Return.

      1. Members noted the conclusion of the audit for FY 14/15 with the receipt of Annual Return with no comments made by the External Auditor.

      2. Members noted the posting of Audit Completion Notice on 6 July 15.

    2. Clerk’s Salary and Expenses. The Clerk presented his Jul-Sep 15 salary invoice for £364.73 less £73.00 PAYE (£291.73). Members RESOLVED to authorise the payment of the invoice for £364.73 less £72.80 PAYE (£291.73).

  1. Village Events

    1. WW1 Memorial Stone. Cllrs Matton & Jones reported that that they had emailed Mr Guest at Wilts Council with regard to permission to place a memorial stone on the grass verge opposite the bus shelter. Cllr Matton agreed to start investigating sourcing a grant from TAB.

Action: Cllrs Matton & Jones.

    1. Harvest Festival Service St Peter’s Church Sun 6 Sep. Cllr Preece reported that the circa 50 persons attended the event which was blessed by good weather and at which delightful tea and cakes were served. Moreover, the Church exceptionally nice on the day.

    2. Bonfire/Fireworks Night Sat 7 Nov. Cllr Matton reported all was in hand and that it would be best to have a smaller bonfire. Cllrs agreed that a wet weather plan was needed and Cllr Matton agreed to draw up a detailed planning and safety check list and to circulate it to other Cllrs by 25 Sep 15.

Action: Cllr Matton.

    1. Carol Service/Curry Lunch Goa Balti Sat 12 Dec. Cllr Preece reported the Church, Vicar and the Goa Balti Restaurant had been booked and that although all matters are in hand a planning meeting was due to be held in the week beginning 21 Sep 15.

Action: Cllr Preece and planning team.

  1. Emergency Plan. In the absence Cllr Symonds, Cllr Bottomley circulated the latest draft of the Everleigh Emergency Aide Memoire and Contact List. After discussion, it was agreed that this document was fit for purpose and will be distributed in October 2015 together with the Bonfire Night Flyer.

Action: Cllrs Symonds and Bottomley.

  1. Time Credits. Cllr Bottomley reported that this initiative had failed to take off and was dormant until further notice. Item closed.

  1. Invite to The House of Commons. Having considered an invitation from Clare Perry MP for 2 Cllrs to visit the Houses of Parliament on 16 Nov 15 Cllrs agreed that Cllrs Bottomley and Preece were to take up the invitation and Cllr Bottomley agreed to respond to that effect.

  1. Date of Next Meeting: The date of the next meeting was confirmed as 7.00pm on Monday 2nd November 2015 to be held in Collingbourne School.

Signed: date:

Name:

Chairman