EPC – 2nd March Meeting Minutes

EVERLEIGH PARISH COUNCIL

 MINUTES OF PARISH COUNCIL MEETING HELD REMOTELY (via Zoom) on TUESDAY 2 MARCH 2021

Chairman:     Cllr D Bottomley.

Present:           Cllr K Wheeler-Mallows, Cllr P Evans, Cllr H Waight and Cllr A Earle.

In Attendance: Mr P Gill (Parish Clerk), Wilts Cllr I Blair-Pilling, Wilts Cllr C Williams, Mr T Martin (Potential Co-Optee) and one Member of the Public.

1.         Welcome and Explanation.  The Chairman welcomed everyone to the meeting and reminded Cllrs that this was the last meeting of the Council prior to the Parish Elections which are due to be held on Thu 6 May 21.  He took the opportunity to thank the Cllrs past and present for their commitment and hard work during the life of this particular Council.  Moreover, as a result of boundary changes Wilts Cllr Ian Blair-Pilling will cease to be the Wilts Cllr for Everleigh after the election and the Chairman wished to thank him for commitment to Everleigh which has been wide and varied.  He then explained that on 4th April 2020 the Government introduced The Local Authorities and Police and Crime Panels (Coronavirus) (Flexibility of Local Authority and Police and Crime Panel Meetings) (England and Wales) Regulations 2020 which allows local councils to meet remotely.  These regulations apply to meetings held before 7th May 2021. A copy of the Regulations is available from the Clerk. The Chairman also highlighted that an Everleigh Parish Council protocol for the conduct of remote meetings was issued on 1st May 2020 and summarized the key points from this protocol.

2.         Apologies:  PC Sharon Duggan.

3.         Disclosure of Interest.  None declared.

4.         Co-option.  Following a vote and having met the statutory (LGA 1972 Sect 79 & 80) eligibility requirements Mr T Martin was co-opted as a Member of the Council.  Cllr Martin agreed to sign the Declaration of Acceptance of Office (LGA 1972 Sect 83) as soon as was practicable.  The Clerk then reminded Cllr Martin that he was required to complete the register of Members’ Interests within 28 days.     Action:  Cllr Martin & Clerk.

5.         Minutes of the Parish Council Meeting held on 5 January 2021. 

5.1       Previous Minutes.  The minutes of the Parish Council Meeting held on

5 January 2021 were agreed and Cllrs RESOLVED that the minutes were to be signed by the Chairman as a true record as soon as possible after the meeting. 

Action:  Chairman & Clerk.

5.2       Matters Arising. None.

6.         General Public.  No questions asked.               

7.         Wilts Council Cllr Report.  Wilts Cllr Blair-Pilling reported the following: Covid

General. Wiltshire’s infection and hospitalisation rates continue to drop and vaccine rates climb fast.  BIG well done and thanks to everyone for their high compliance and fantastic support for each other. The latest Wiltshire Council Covid briefing – COVID-19 WEBINAR, 02 MAR – YouTube Or read all the latest statistics and advice at Coronavirus (COVID-19) – Wiltshire Council

Leisure and Libraries.  I assure you we are working hard to open up as much as we can as soon as we can.  Notes of caution:  some sites are being used for Covid activities e.g. vaccines at Tidworth Leisure Centre, many of our staff are still redeployed on a wide range of tasks from the Well-Being and Business Support Hubs to at vaccine centres and now the elections and finally the safety of both customers and staff remain forefront.  We shall publish details of our own roadmap very soon.

Budget

With a year of very tight spending controls and the Government grants, we expect to end this year with a balanced budget and have put aside reserves to help with the expected substantial increases in need and anticipated loss of income next year.  Last week the 21-22 budget was agreed.  Highlights are:

  • 1.99% increase in basic council tax
  • 3% council tax levy for Adult Social Care for the £8.6m growth with increasing age demographic and needs.
  • £6.6m investment in Children’s Social Care and a further £1.5m for rising demand for special educational needs service
  • Increase of investment in waste services by £2.6m to a total of £42.3m
  • Six-fold increase in our discretionary hardship fund to £300k, to help families and residents who, after undertaking all avenues of support to reduce their council tax bill, need further support.
  • Nearly £2m to help fund the planned £214m investment in its capital programme, which includes:
    • £22m in maintaining Wiltshire’s road network.
    • £23m in schools, including the replacement of the lower block at Stonehenge School.
    • Continued investment of over £20m in the council’s Health & Wellbeing centre sites, including Melksham Community Campus
    • Continued carbon reduction initiatives, with £3m for the final transition to LED streetlights and over £4m for our buildings and estate energy efficiencies.
    • Over £50m into housing, with around 1,000 new council houses over the next 10 years
  • A £4m fund, made up of £1m a year for the next four years, to support market towns to bounce back.

The budget report and a replay of the meeting (at its conclusion) can be found at Agenda for Council on Tuesday 23 February 2021, 10.30 am | Wiltshire Council  – About 8 hour meeting

Elections.

We now know our elections will go ahead on 6 May.  As I have briefed you, the division boundaries change at that time with the Everleigh, the Collingbournes and the Chutes joining the new Ludgershall North division.  Our Chief Executive and Recording Officer, Terence Herbert, assures us that polling stations will be in operation for those who wish to vote in person, as is their right, but asks that as many as possible register and vote by post to reduce the risk and help keep us all safe.  All the details can be found at  May 2021 Elections – Wiltshire Council

Farewell

At the local elections I shall be standing for the Avon Valley division, and for now must say farewell to you all pending the election result.  It has been my pleasure and pride to have represented and worked with you for the past 4 years.  I think we have done a lot of good together.  Thank you for your welcome and collaborative support.

Cllrs noted the report and asked a number of questions for clarity. 

8.         Police Report.  PC Duggan reported the following by email: 

8.1       January.

8.1.1    Domestic Violence. There have been 9 reported assaults for the month of January in the reporting area. These incidents can be domestic violence or offences outside of the home. Due to the nature of the incidents individual details will not be shared.

8.1.2    Other Offences. No relevant offences have been recorded for Everleigh.

8.2       Crime rates.  Crimes rates across the Tidworth Area Board (TAB) area have reduced by 17% last January compared to January 2020.  However, concerns remain regarding drug dealing/use.

8.3.      Lower Everleigh Post Box.  There was an unsuccessful attempt to “snatch” the Lower Everleigh Post Box in February of which the police are aware.

Cllrs noted the report

9.         Correspondence.  None that has not been previously circulated.

10.       Forecast of Events. Having considered the draft forecast of events previously circulated on 23Feb 21 Cllrs RESOLVED to adopt the forecast of events as drafted with minor amendments and Cllr Bottomley agreed to issue a further draft.

             Action:  Cllr Bottomley.

11.       Planning. 

11.1 No applications received.

12.       Property. 

12.1 Grass Cutting.  Cllr Wheeler-Mallows reported that he expects that John Bowen will continue to cut the grass at a rate of £75.00 per cut with the number of cuts to be controlled by Cllr Wheeler-Mallows.  Action.  Cllr Wheeler-Mallows.

12.2    Play Area. 

12.2.1 Cllr Wheeler-Mallows outlined his plans for the repair of the play area shelter’s roof and after discussion Cllrs RESOLVED to authorise up to £150.00 + VAT to cover the cost of the repairs which are to be carried out in this FY.  Moreover, Cllr Waight offered to assist Cllr Wheeler-Mallows with the repairs.   Action: Cllrs Wheeler-Mallows and Waight.       

12.2.2 Cllr Bottomley briefed Cllrs on the draft risk assessment that he circulated on 9 Feb 21 regarding the safe reopening of the playground and his subsequent development of a 3-phase plan to open the facility. After discussion Cllrs RESOLVED to accept Cllrs Bottomley’s 3 phase plan which is to include a Works Party to be held on Sat 27 Mar starting at 0930 and for which volunteers are required.  The intent is to reopen the playground in time for the Easter long weekend 2-5 April, subject to the COVID-19 situation.         

Action:  All Cllrs.

12.3   Streetscene Minor WorksLiaison with the Parish Steward continues and

all identified works have been reported via the My Wilts App.  Villagers are strongly encouraged to report works.  There are several damaged tank warning signs which need replacement; Wilts Cllr Blair-Pilling agreed to pass this on. Moreover, Cllr Wheeler-Mallows agreed to report, via the My Wilts App, the requirement to have the Everleigh Recycling Centre signs removed.   Action: Cllr Wheeler-Mallows.

12.4   Bench Seat.  Cllr Wheeler-Mallows reported that gravel had been laid out around the tree and that he was to start construction of the bench early in the next FY.  After discussion Cllrs RESOLVED to authorise up to £100.00 + VAT to cover the cost of the construction.                                                               Action:  Cllr Wheeler-Mallows.

12.5   Lower Everleigh Bus Shelter.  Cllr Wheeler-Mallows reported that the Lower

Everleigh Bus Shelter was in a poor state and needs to be repaired.  After discussion Cllrs RESOLVED to authorise up to £50.00 + VAT to cover the cost of the repairs to the Lower Everleigh bus shelter which are to carried out in the next FY.      Action:  Cllr Wheeler-Mallows.

12.6.  Lower Everleigh Drainage.  Cllr Bottomley reported that the TAB had authorised £4K to be allocated to address the Lower Everleigh Drainage issue.  It is anticipated that the work will be conducted in the near future.  Cllr Wheeler-Mallows volunteered to be the lead Cllr for this project. Cllrs offered their thanks to Wilts Cllrs Blair-Billing and Williams for their assistance in helping to secure the allocation of the £4K.  Action:  Cllr Wheeler-Mallows.

13.       Finance.

13.1    The Clerk presented a bank reconciliation and current liquidity statement as follows:

            13.1.1   Balance at Lloyds CA (statement date 1 Feb 21) £4353.30

13.1.2   Reconciled Balance as at 1 Mar 21 £3,013.81

Cllrs noted the statements, but had no comment at this time.

13.2     Authorise the following payments and those cheques issued since last meeting.

13.2.1 691 P Gill (Printer Paper 25 Jan 21) £5.70 (VAT £.95)

13.2.2 692 P Gill (Printer Cartridges 2 Feb 21) £38.79 (VAT £6.47)

13.2.3 693 Land Marc Sp Svcs (Play Area Rent 25 Mar 21) £45.00

13.2.4 694 Wilts Council (Marlborough Road Speed limit 24 Feb 21) £1250

Cllrs RESOLVED to authorise the payments and cheques.

13.3     Receipts. Nil.

13.4     Bank Signatories.  The Clerk reported that he had summited a change of signatories’ mandate to the bank. However, there was a technical issue with one of the signatories which required the submission of a new mandate which is to be submitted in the next few days.     Action:  Clerk.

13.5.    Future Projects. Cllr Bottomley briefed Cllrs on his draft 2 Year Plan for future projects.  After a detailed discussion Cllrs RESOLVED to agree the draft 2 Year Plan in principle noting that the cost of the repair to the play area shelter’s roof had now been brought forward to this FY and that the Everleigh Centre Project was to be renamed as the Everleigh Enhancement Project.

            Action:  Cllr Bottomley.

14.     Lower Everleigh Broadband Build.  Cllr Wheeler-Mallows reported that the build has been cancelled much to the disappointment of the residents of Lower Everleigh.  Although alternatives are being actively perused by Wilts Council sadly there is no clear way ahead at this time.  Action:  Cllr Wheeler-Mallows.

  15.     Village Events.

15.1 Litter Pick Sat 6 Mar 21.  Cllrs noted that the Spring Litter Pick due to take place on 6 Mar 21 had been postponed to a new proposed date, Sat 24 Apr, and also noted that the Autumn Litter Pick remains scheduled for Sat 23 Oct 21.  Normal arrangements are to be followed and to be COVID compliant.  After discussion Cllrs RESOLVED to hold the Spring Litter Pick on Sat 24 Apr subject to COVID 19 restrictions.             Action:  Cllr Bottomley

15.2   Beating the Bounds Parish Boundary Walk Sun 16 May 21.  Cllr Wheeler-Mallows reported that all was in place for this event subject to COVID restrictions.  Cllr Evans volunteered to assist with the running of this event this with a view to taking on the running of it in the future.      

            Action:  Cllrs Wheeler-Mallows & Evans.

16.    Marlborough Road Speed Limit.  Cllr Bottomley recapped on the background to this item and reported no change to his last report in that he anticipates that implementation can be completed by the end of March 2021.  Moreover, the invoice for the implementation has been received and will be action by the Clerk in due course. Action: Cllr Bottomley & Clerk.

17      Right of Way (RoW) 6.  Cllr Earle reported that he had met with the Wilts Council RoW Officer on 9 Feb 21 and that the he had been supportive and had suggested an approximately 300m long stone footpath along the righthand side heading out from the village; this would be made up of a rolled loose stone about 1m wide. Moreover, the RoW officer indicated that there are funds at Wilts Council that may be available before the end of the financial year to cover these works.  The RoW Officer asked that Cllr Earle liaise with the interested parties Henry Waight and Richard Hannon confirming that they are happy with these works and get that in writing (email) which he has done.  However, despite numerous attempts to contact the RoW Officer after the meeting he has not got back to Cllr Earle.  Wilts Cllr Blair-Pilling agreed to hasten this with the RoW Officer as a matter of urgency. 

Action:  Cllr Earle & Wilts Cllr Blair-Pilling

18.       Local Plan.  Cllr Bottomley briefed the Cllrs on his draft response which he had been previously circulated on 3 Feb 21.  After a detailed discussion Cllrs RESOLVED to endorse Cllr Bottomley’s draft response with proposed amendments, the main amendment being to not comment on the Tidworth and Ludgershall part of the plan and that Cllr Bottomley was to submit the response as amended.  Action:  Cllr Bottomley

19. Date of Next Meeting: The date of the next meeting was confirmed, subject to COVID 19 restrictions. as The Annual Parish Meeting starting at 7.00 pm on Wednesday 12 May 2021 followed by the Annual Meeting of the Parish Council.

Meeting closed at 8.55pm

Signed:                                                                                     date:

Name:

Chairman